Friday, November 4, 2016

The saga of the oyster

The story starts next door to the Food Lover's Market. 


We loved that market, piles of fruit, veg and cheese and my favorite SA cookie, really yummy shortbread. 


Next door to this market was the fish market where I scored a dozen oysters. "No thank you" I said to the lady behind the counter when she asked me if I wanted them opened, I watched Jacques Pepin do it on TV. Well, let me tell you, it's a lots harder than it looks. It can't have anything to do with the fact I was using a table knife instead of an oyster knife can it? 


Here I am with sweat pouring down my face, I couldn't keep my glasses on. Not too many oysters on the plate either.


By the eleventh oyster I finally figured it out, you have to go straight down into the shell not sideways like I was trying to do it. Guess I should have googled it.


A squirt of grapefruit juice and down the hatch they went in less than a minute. It took at least a half an hour to open them.....


I am already for Normandy in June. Bring them on.



No comments:

Post a Comment