Sunday, July 27, 2014

Le Recreation

Many years ago we read a book called "You Can't See Paris From Here". It's about an American family that goes to live for a year in the village of Les Arques near Cahors with a restaurant called Le Recreation.  We came for a fabulous lunch in 2007 and returned again this trip. I am happy to report that it is still fabulous, even though it has changed hands. The restaurant is housed in the old village school. We sat under a huge chestnut tree and had the multi course 39 Euro menu. Started with gazpacho, Tom had cheesy crust wrapped asparagus for his entree, I had sesame coated shrimp with mango salsa.


For the main dish I had lamb with sweet potato purée and a meat stuffed squash blossom. Tom had pork tenderloin.

But of course the polmerol wine was extra good and it was decanted into a fancy stemmed pourer.

We took the remainder of the bottle with us to have with our burgers from Jacks that evening. Good burgers too.9

Desert was the crowning glory and we had to spend the remainder of the afternoon under a tree sleeping it off. 

The Toulouse airport was the final destination. Tom says he is over Formula 1 hotels, cheap as they might be and even though they have a 3 Euro breakfast that includes chocolate spread. Next time we are going for air conditioning.  I was over them years ago (good sport points).

He is flying home and I am off to London. I am really sad to leave France, I could easily stay a few more months. We made new friends, rode our bikes, explored new foods and really had a great time. I just need to win the lottery so I can buy my own house in France. Every one can come visit.

1 comment:

  1. That food looks amazing! Book us in as your first visitors when you win lottery and buy the house :)

    ReplyDelete